- 1 large eggplant cut into ½ inch slices
- 1-2 tablespoons salt
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- ⅔ cup Parmesan cheese grated and divided
- 1 cup low carb marinara sauce
- 12 deli slices of mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Lay the eggplant slices out on a rack, and sprinkle with the 1-2 tablespoons salt. Allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Rinse the eggplant and dry completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In one bowl, place ¼ cup of coconut flour.
- In a second bowl, place two large eggs beaten.
- In a third shallow bowl, mix together the almond flour, ½ cup parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge the eggplant slices in the coconut flour on both sides, dip into the egg, and then coat in the almond flour mixture.
- Place the coated slices on a baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Spread ⅓ of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish.
- Add a layer of the baked eggplant on top.
- Spread another ⅓ of the marinara and then top with 6 slices of the mozzarella cheese.
- Add another layer of egg plant, then the remaining sauce and the last 6 slices of mozzarella cheese to finish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese has completely melted.
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese and freshly chopped parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 2206mgCarbohydrates: 12gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g